Saturday, October 15, 2011

Family Scripture Study

As members of the LDS faith we are encouraged to hold daily scripture study with our families. We have been making a more concerted effort to accomplish this recently which isn't the easiest thing to do with a 6 month old and a 2 year old. We usually say a prayer, read a few verses, remind the 2 year old to listen, and sometimes we sing a song. It's not long and I've been surprised that most of the time, even though we don't read for very long at all, I feel a pleasant spirit inside about the experience, and happy that we did it. And even though I think over time this will be valuable for both our girls I didn't think it was making much of a difference yet. However, the other day Belen was "helping" me in the kitchen and talking happily. At one point she said, "And it came to pass...there was a Jesus". I couldn't wait to tell Holden when he got home that our efforts were not in vain! She may not be visibly listening too much yet, but I think having an understanding that "there was a Jesus" is a good start :)

3 comments:

Leah said...

Parenting point! Nash is our "spirited" child, and I often think he's not listening, but he reminds us every day to read scriptures. Keep it up. Remember that talk by Elder Bednar about the painting of a wheat field?

Nicole said...

No, I don't remember that talk, but I will check it out! Thanks!

higginaries said...

Oh, that so warms Gammy's heart! That's so sweet. And it just "shows to go you" how smart these babes are and how much they really do absorb. Way to go!