Monday, August 8, 2011

Dad

My Dad passed away Sunday morning. I'm grateful he was released from his body that wasn't working for him anymore. I'm grateful to know that I will see him again after this life and that he is joining loved ones he has missed in the last several years. I'm grateful for his example of optimism, friendliness, honesty, and service to others. I'm grateful for lots of fun memories, for his sense of humor and for the unique man that he was and is. I love his laugh and charming personality.

Some of my favorite memories are dancing together and hearing him sing. Everyone wanted to dance with Dad, and everyone he knows has probably heard him sing at one time or another. He enjoyed songs by Randy Travis, Merle Haggard, Elvis, and Nat King Cole to name of few. If he didn't know the lyrics he filled in with a lot of "deedle dye dee"s and "deedle deedle doe"s.

Some things he'd often say:
"Boy Howdy!"
"Hot diggity dog!"
"....by George"
"You gotta stand for something or you'll fall for anything"
"There's a hitch in my get along"
"Well I'll be John Brown"
"We're in pretty good shape for the shape we're in"
(when someone says something is healthy he'd say...) "Yeah and so good for ya"
"I'm as nervous as a frog on a freeway with my hopper broke"
If you asked him how work was or something... "Well, it's better than a stick in the eye"
"Just keep going you can't miss it"
"A day late and a dollar short"
"She (or he)'s a dandy!"
"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink"
"You gotta let the clutch out cuz the fan won't pull it"
"It doesn't get any better than this"
"Ok pardner"
"Adios"

In the past several years my Dad has become softer and more of a spiritual person. I'll miss talking with him about spiritual things and look forward to more talks later.

Love you Dad.



Temple Sealing

Dancing with Dad (sometime in my high school years)

Dancing with Dad at my wedding

At the Oregon Coast - Dad loved having a toothpick in his mouth (also sometime in my high school years)
Sitting on Dad's lap. I'm the youngest of my Dad's 8 children.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Nic, I'm so sorry for your loss. I always really liked your dad and his happy spirit. Sending prayers of love and comfort your way!!

Brad and Erica said...

Nic Thanks for this post... I had never seen that picture of the family, I love it. In these last few years he had stopped saying many of those phrases and as I read them, memories came flooding back and so I am so grateful for you writing them down and for your fantastic memory. The toothpick comment cracked me up because it's so true! Love you.

Carrie said...

Nicole, much love sent our way to you. I'm glad you took the time to write down a few thoughts of him and I laughed when I read the frog on the road quote :) How neat to have a recent sealing in your family. Love you guys.

Tutti said...

Oh Nic, I am so sorry for your loss. Even though I never met your dad I could tell that he passed some of his charm and strong convictions on to you. Treasure those memories and know that he is in your heart. xo

Leah said...

I'm sorry, sweet Nicole. I only met your dad once, but I remember his warm smile and that sparkle in his eyes. He's one of those fellas you just like right away. The kids and I love watching the video of you two dancing at your wedding. What a great dad!

Brad and Mo Petersen said...

I'm sorry to hear about your father Nicole. I loved reading about him. He sounded like a wonderful father and a really fun guy to be around.

Marianne said...

I had no idea he wasn't doing well--I am so sorry for your loss. It is marvelous though to know of the plan of salvation. Cherish those memories.

Allison said...

I checked your blog on a whim today and my heart sank to my toes when I read the first line. I am so sorry for your loss, your dad sounds like an amazing man. I loved reading all of his little one liners, they made me chuckle. I hope you and your family are doing well, my thoughts are with you. Miss you.

Dave said...

Nicole, my heart goes out to you. we are blessed to know we will see our loves ones again after this life. my prayers go out to you and your beautiful family.

Nicole said...

Thank you veryone for your love, support & prayers.

lisa c. said...

I just checked your blog today Nicole. I'm so sorry for the loss of your father, but know that you know where he is and how love continues.

Cha said...

...you left out the best part, that he raised an AMAZING daughter, Nicole, who has influenced people across the world, touched hearts by sharing his love for music and dancing and is a phenomenal wife and mother herself. The best of his legacy lives on through you.
Much love and many prayers will be sent for you and your family. And, I think I'll pick up a couple of his phrases. I'm sorry for your loss and appreciate your perspective. You're always right on!