Thursday, February 17, 2011

The Perfect Parent

I guess the perfect parent is the one that knows perfect parenting is impossible and can keep that thought for more than a week or so. I attended a parenting class tonight and I think the most important thought shared was in regards to who we are trying to emulate as parents. Most people in my immediate social circle would say we are trying to emulate the kind of parents that God and Jesus Christ are to us. This is good and right in my opinion, the trouble is that we are not perfect and God and Jesus Christ are. The thought that struck home for me is that I should not be trying to be my child's Savior. She already has one. That is not my role. I need to encourage her relationship with Jesus Christ, her Savior, and remember that it is ok for me not to be perfect. This is a very simple, basic truth, but I have to relearn in on a regular basis. For some reason, the way it was presented to me tonight worked well for me. I will most likely continue to wring my hands and worry I'm not doing something well enough, partly because it's my nature and partly because it's what parents do, but maybe if I blog about it, I will look back on this post and remember every once in awhile to relax just a little and put my faith in God and Jesus Christ a little more :)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Perfect insight! Sounds like a great class, wish I could have been there for it.

Higgtastic said...

That's a good thought Nicole. I think having faith in Christ is key when guiding your children as they grow up and make their own choices. It is definitely a leap of faith sometimes!

Leah said...

Thanks for sharing that, Nicole. I often have to remind myself of what I feel is my role: to make my home into a place where safety, love, The Spirit, and peace can flourish. Wether it's a tiny apartment or a McMansion, your home is your family's temple, sanctuary, fortress. And you are queen of the castle!

higginaries said...

It's great that you are coming to these conclusions early in your parenting career. It would have behooved me to have learned to relax more when I was raising my darlings. (Don't you love the word "behooved"?)

Heather said...

Thanks.. that's a really good reminder and so true, and thank goodness we don't have to be perfect.. cuz it ain't happnin' :)

It is scary to put your trust in God sometimes, but it is always better and always important to remember.

Belen is SO darling!!!

Dave said...

thank you Nicole i needed this as well javascript:void(0)

lisa c. said...

Hey nicole!! How are you feeling with number coming a month away? Looks like your family is doing well!

Amanda said...

I miss you! Thanks for the insight as I was really needing something like that for today...and the last three years! We need to chat...I just found out that you are having baby girl #2 very soon. congrats!!!